DISH 2 – Semi-Hot Rice, Cabbage and Parsnips
300g Rice (White or Brown, long or short grain – we used short grain Brown)
1/2 Savoy cabbage shredded, reduced and mixed with parsnip/soy milk mash
1 tsb Coriander Seeds
1 tsb Cumin Seeds
1 tsb Mustard Seeds
Lemon to squeeze
1. Reduced the cabbage by itself in the wok to cook off the excess water and made the mash – as described in DISH 1
2. Mixed together.
3. Washed the rice, added an appropriate amount of water (White rice tends to cook at a ratio of 1 cup rice = 1.5 cups water, but Brown rice tends to take more) and brought to the boil and then simmered until soft but still firm.
4. Whilst cooking the rice I quickly fried the seeds separately in a small frying pan to ‘pop’ them.
5. Once the rice was sufficiently softened, I put it and the oil/seeds into the wok, mixed gently and stir fried gently quickly.
6. Squeeze some lemon juice over the top.
AN ALTERNATIVE to this is steamed/boiled rice with just the cabbage/parsnips stir fried and served on the bed of rice rather than mixed in. It’s just a matter of preference and who’s eating it.
Next Food Post – Dish 3: Parsnips Chips/Fries! – >